Joanna Ashleigh's Biography
April 2012, Photograph Courtesy of Hannah Oborn Photography
Denver's local sweetheart Joanna Ashleigh has been devoted to belly dance since she took her first class in 2005. She's since performed all over Colorado as well as at many festivals such as Tribal Fest (CA), Cues and Tattoos (WA), Elevation (CO) and JamBallah (OR). Joanna's heart is happiest when performing American Tribal Style® Belly Dance, but she has also come to enjoy the liberties and freedoms of creating and performing Tribal Fusion solos. Joanna has earned her Practitioner's Certificate in Rachel Brice's 8 Elements™ program and continues to seek out new learning opportunities. She currently teaches weekly classes in Denver, is part owner of Red Elephant Workshop, is a Guest Artist with Vespertina Dance Project, and choreographs and directs her very own Chariot Dance Project!
Dancing has always had a special place in Joanna's heart. After taking a belly dance class with her first instructor Lia Ridley, in 2005, she instantly became hooked. Taking the grace and Romany style roots that her first teacher instilled in her, Joanna began studying Modern Tribal Improvisation (MTI) with Molly McClellan of TribalTique in 2006 and was an Assistant Director of TribalTique from 2008 to 2012. She will be forever grateful to these first two teachers, who laid the ground work for her and whose influence helped her define the dance aesthetics she loves and has come to be known for. She also wishes to thank Rachel Brice for being the observant, incredibly kind, solid and dedicated force that has inspired countless hours of good 'ol hard work.
Joanna is also a member of the Portland Bellydance Guild; a community she has grown to love and appreciate beyond measure for their kindness to her.
- Completed Rachel Brice's 8 Elements™ Phase 1: Initiation with Recognition as of October 2011
- Completed Rachel Brice's 8 Elements™ Phase 2: Cultivation with Recognition as of March 2012
- Completed Rachel Brice's 8 Elements™ Phase 3: Culmination: Certified 8 Elements Practitioner as of July 2014
- Completed Carolena Nericcio-Bohlman of FatChanceBellyDance® Classic General Skills Certification as of January 2015
- Completed Carolena Nericcio-Bohlman of FatChanceBellyDance® Modern General Skills Certification as of January 2015
- Completed Level One of Sadie Marquardt's Raqs Flow Program as of March 2015
When she's not dancing, Joanna loves to go four-wheeling with her partner in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, walk her dogs, snuggle her cats, constantly reads anything she can get her hands on and will always pause to look at something shiny.
You can visit her public blog here!
Send Joanna an e-mail at Joanna.Ashleigh@gmail.com
"I was once told that belly dance is a dance of the heart..." ~Joanna Ashleigh